Thursday, August 12, 2010

What to do with all that Basil

This time of year sweet basil is overabundant in my garden.  Now what should I do with it.  After all, how many Caprese salads can I eat!!   Well if you don't know already Basil is high in vitamin K;  It also offers a reasonable amount of iron and vitamin A;  It provides anti inflammatory properties as well along with vitamin C and potassium.

So if you would like to keep a fresh supply or try to keep it fresh,  you can try storing it  in the refrigerator.  I usually wrap small branches of basil in a moist paper towel.  To freeze it I chop in first and add a little water.  Freezing it in ice cube trays will give you just the right amount to use for preparing future meals.  I also make plenty of pesto sauce which I also freeze in cubes.

My favorite use for basil is in pesto.  My favorite pesto recipe is below:

     1/4 pine nuts
     3 garlic cloves
     2 ounces (4 cups) basil leaves
     1/4 cup olive oil
     1/4 teas. salt
     1/8 teas. crushed red pepper
     1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
    
Combine nuts and garlic in a food processor until minced.  Add oil, basil, salt and pepper.  Blend all.
Add cheese;

I use this delicious pesto sauce for tortellini salads, as a dressing for salmon, and to spread on a piece of Italian bread before toasting in oven;  A hot side dish of pasta topped with pesto can be the perfect compliment to a meal.

And finally, Pesto Pizza!!  A new found favorite and perfect for using your frozen pesto cubes when the cooler weather arrives.  Thaw out your pesto and spread it on your pizza dough.  Top it off with onions, tomatoes, peppers, olives, and cheese for a fabulous pizza.  You can use Feta or Mozzarella cheese for this delightful treat.  You won't be disappointed.

So keep that basil coming.  Chop it frequently to keep your plants healthy and full.  And don't forget to share!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment